Petroleum engineers design methods for extracting oil and gas from deposit below the earth. They work with geologists and other specialists to understand the geological formations and properties of the rock containing the reservoir to determine the drilling methods to be used, and to monitor drilling and production operations.
All Engineering courses have duration of five (5) years.
English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
Petroleum engineers find employment with oil companies, mining companies, government and consultancy firms.
Essential skills for Engineers
- Effective technical skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Project management skills
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Computer skills
- Good knowledge of mathematics and physics